If you are thinking of joining the fast paced cosmetics industry as a nail technician, you have definitely come to the right place!
We have put together all the resources you will need to find the training you will need to join this lucrative field no matter which state you live in. Read on below to find out how you can get started today.
Find the Best Nail School in Your Area
Below, we have included a list which contains links to all 50 states. Just click on the state that you wish to research, and you will be taken to a page that explains:
- licensing requirements,
- what you can expect for typical training curriculum in the state,
- where you can find the best schools,
- economic outlook in the state, and
- what your basic salary expectations will be.
Our list includes a directory of cosmetology schools in the state with nail technology courses, which is very helpful as not all cosmetology schools carry this course. We update the directory in this list on a regular basis to save you an enormous amount of time in your research.
Best Nail Technician Schools by Cities
New York City
Best States for Nail Technician Job Opportunities
Here are some of the best states in which to pursue a career in nail technology:
States With the Best Employment Rates
- Californians have a very high level of employment for nail technologists and the cosmetology field in general. Currently, there are over 20,000 nail technicians in the state and the field is still growing. This is partially due to their healthy tourism industry, which provides a steady supply of vacationers who seek to be pampered while enjoying their travels. The entertainment industry is also another backbone of employment in the state as those at the forefront of the industry are required to look their best and need your help to do so.
- New York:
- New York has very high levels of nail technician employment for the same reason as California. Currently, there are more than 15,000 nail technicians in the state.
- Maryland shares a border with Washington D.C. and therefore benefits from both the tourist industry and from the local political scene for its deep pocket clients. There are currently more than 2,000 professional nail technicians in the state, which is quite considerable for its size.
- Nail technicians in Virginia prosper for the same reason as those in Maryland, because it shares a common border with the nation’s capital. Nearly 2,500 nail technicians are prospering from this industry at this time.
- There are nearly 5,000 nail technicians in Pennsylvania, yet the industry is still growing rapidly in the state.
- Washington state:
- Washington state also benefits greatly from tourism. There are over 3,800 nail technicians in Washington and there is still a strong demand for more.
- Nail technicians do very well in Connecticut due to the high level of demand for services.
- This is one of the most in-demand states for this profession with more than 4,800 currently employed and a location quotient of over 2. 1.41 people out of 1,000 work in this field.
- New Jersey:
- New Jersey also benefits from the tourist industry and it shows in the labor statistics for this field. There are currently over 7,500 nail technicians in this state with 1.91 out of 1,000 working in this field.
- This is a surprisingly good state for the field, partly due to Chicago tourism, but also due to the entertainment industry and the professional industry. Chicago is a major hub of economic activity with more deep pockets that benefit the cosmetics industry. There are currently 3,750 nail technicians in the state with a growth rate that is roughly commensurate with average job growth in the nation.
States With the Best Salaries
- Again, California is a great option for nail technology employment despite the high cost of living. The annual mean wage in this state is over $23,500, not including tips, with highly experienced nail technicians earning much more.
- Nail technicians in Texas earn an average of $24,040 per year plus tips. When combined with the relatively low cost of living for many areas in this state, it’s a very healthy living.
- Alaska isn’t a cheap place to live, but the average of $27,800 per year plus generous tips from tourists makes up for the difference.
- Nail techs in Florida earn an average of $28,900 per year, with top earners making $46,000 and more. When combined with tips, this is a very comfortable salary.
- Iowa is one of the most affordable states to live in, yet nail technicians make an average of $31,040 and top earnings over $47,000. This is definitely one of the best states in the country for this field when cost of living is compared to salary.
Currently, roughly 30% of nail technicians are self employed or have their own business, and indeed this is one of the ways to reach top earnings in your state. Self employed nail technicians often find themselves earning in the top 10% to 20% of their field, with salaries as much as 1/3 to 1/2 higher than the industry average in the state. So, this might be the best option for any aspiring nail technologists to shoot for.
Now that you have seen just how profitable a career in nail technology can be, why not click your state on the map above and check out the schools and opportunities in your area. There’s never been a better time to join this fast paced and rapidly growing field!